Monday, February 02, 2009

Back in the Saddle(shoes)

We were out of commission most of January. First Doris had a cold and then I had one. We did go out a couple of times but missed out on some dancing so we wouldn't be spreading germs.

We attempted to make up for it this past weekend. We were invited by some friends to go out with a group on Friday night. There were about 10 couples. Most of them we had seen at different venues. We also got invited by Joy and Tony to go to the Fort Myers Officer Club on Saturday night. We had a good dinner both nights and got in some dancing.

On Sunday morning, we redeemed the coupon we won at the Sock Hop for a free dance lesson. We met Cookie at a local studio and she showed us some Country Two-Step. Every once in a while you hear a song that will fit and it's good to be prepared. In the afternoon we went to the Candy Factory for the 1st Sunday dance at 4:00 pm. We really got in some dancing this weekend. After the Candy Factory, a group of us went to dinner.

During dinner I had one of those "It's a small world" moments. I was speaking to a gentleman sitting next to me and found out he had retired from the Army also. We got to comparing notes and he had been my company commander when I was a student at the Computer Programming School located at Fort Benjamin Harrison back in 1979-80. That's such a long time ago that I don't really remember. Of course, the only time a student ever got to see the Commander was when he was in trouble. I managed to avoid that.

2 comments:

Bilbo said...

One day, many years ago, I was a young Air Force Captain in the Pentagon for a meeting. I was squeezing down a hallway past a huge tour group (this was long-pre-9/11, when they still did big tours) when a hand came out of the crowd and grabbed my arm, and a stern voice said, "Just a minute there, Captain!" I looked up with horror into the steely gaze of a full Colonel...who, as a brand-new major, had been one of my ROTC instructors at Penn State many years before. It is, indeed, a small world.

Anonymous said...

I've had a couple of those moments--a guy who was a Captain when I was a 2LT in the Officer Basic Course ended up working at the same company that I did years later, while in Korea I ran into someone from my OBC, and at a party I was talking with two other women--it turns out we all supported the same project at different training schools, when I came back to Ft. Lee, the company I was assigned to for accountability--the company commander was also another classmate from OBC. He went on to become a two-star and the Quartermaster School CG. Working on another contract I was at Offutt AFB and leaving the building I ran into a guy who had been the general's aide when I was in Korea--he was filling a joint assignment and had just replaced one of my high school classmates. He went on to become the CG at the Transportation School before retiring. Last instance I had was when I was working at SRA--one of the higher ups had been my assignments officer.