Thursday, August 02, 2007

Business Trip

This week I am traveling on business to San Diego. The weather this week makes me understand why Californians are so mellow. It's been in the mid-70's all week and not humid by DC standards.

I wanted to get in some dancing while I am here. You can't develop or keep any proficiency if you don't practice. So, I went the Dance North County studio Tuesday night to see what they had to offer. At 6:00 PM I joined their Beginning Argentine Tango class, given by David Tomko. It was a a good sized class with me making the 6th person and 3rd gentleman. I was glad to even things up. The instructor was very good and I'm glad he could accomodate me dropping in on his class. I got some good practice and finally picked up on something that Anthony has been trying to drill into me about displacement. We have been trying a step that uses displacement and I was trying to displace my partner's foot. I finally caught on that it wasn't just the foot I want to displace. I am moving myself into her space and of course the foot comes along for the ride.

At 7:00, I attended a Latin class given by Daniel Vasco. I know that I need help with my latin motion so this was a good class for me. We went over latin motion in a cha-cha step that combined a basic, a cross-body lead into a progressive forward, another cross-body lead into a basic. So, I not only got some pointers on latin motion but picked up a new combination also.

After the latin class I went to their Social Dance party that went from 8:00 to 10:00. I got to do some dancing and met some very nice people. I danced a couple of Rhumbas and a swing and even got to practice continuity style foxtrot. My partner for that one was very polite and said I did a good job. We have only just started on Silver level Foxtrot and I know exactly 2 steps. I only stayed for an hour because my body is still on East Coast time and I was quickly turning into a pumpkin. I tend to step on my partner's feet when I get tired.

No comments: